Open enrollment for 2020 individual health insurance plans under the Affordable Care Act (ACA) starts November 1 and ends December 15. If you want your coverage to start on January 1, you must sign up by December 15. With a new insurer available for the Oklahoma City area, there are some important things you need to know about the 2020 open enrollment before you apply. I urge all Oklahomans who plan to enroll for 2020, to not automatically renew. Look closely for changes.
In 2017 and 2018, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Oklahoma (BCBSOK) was the only insurance carrier offering plans in the Oklahoma exchange. However, Medica joined the Oklahoma exchange for 2019 with coverage available in all 77 counties. In 2020, Bright Health also joined the Oklahoma exchange and offers plans in Oklahoma, Canadian and Cleveland counties.
- If you are currently uninsured: you can visit healthcare.gov to compare plans and enroll in a plan that meets your health care needs.
- If you already have health insurance: you will be automatically re-enrolled in your existing plan if it is still available. Even if you are satisfied with your current plan, review your coverage and compare plans to ensure you can select the best option for you.
Keep in mind that cost-sharing subsidies are available only on silver plans and subsidies available on silver plans have changed. Shop around to look for coverage that truly meets your needs. I encourage you to check with your agent to help you sort out your options.
You can visit https://www.healthcare.gov/see-plans/ to view plan options, estimate monthly premiums and total annual out-of-pocket costs for each plan, and learn how to buy a plan. You can also determine if you qualify for Medicaid and the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) at https://www.healthcare.gov/medicaid-chip/.
To help make the application process quicker and easier, make sure you have everything you need to apply by reviewing this checklist (PDF). Also, check out these tips about the Health Insurance Marketplace at heathcare.gov.
In addition to those resources, directly visit or call these insurers available for Oklahoma’s exchange for 2020:
- BCBSOK: https://www.bcbsok.com/ 1-800-942-5837
- Bright Health: https://brighthealthplan.com/ 1-877-544-0764
- Medica: https://www.medica.com/ 1-866-745-9919
If you have questions about other insurance issues, contact the Oklahoma Insurance Department at 1-800-522-0071 or visit our website at www.oid.ok.gov.